Kim DeGiulio: What a week it's been! I've been loving this short return of summer and embracing the warm temperatures. Last night, my mom came downtown and roller bladed with me on the River Walk. A lot of people were out enjoying the evening! I think we all had the same idea.
Don't worry Fall lovers, your season makes its return this week and I think that's going to be it for "Kim DeGiulio Days" as Brandon likes to call them (days that reach 80 degrees or above). I'm planning on putting my summer clothes away this weekend and bringing out the sweaters and the coats. That usually means I'm going shopping because I never think I have enough clothes for each season.
Speaking of shopping, I've been loving the fact that now I can go shopping right downtown. There's so many great places that have opened up on Woodward over the last couple of years. I used to have to drive to a mall to pick up a gift or go shopping for myself. Now I can just walk a few blocks and get something downtown. One shop that I'm super excited for is H&M. They are opening their store on Woodward this fall! It's going to be a game changer. Good for Detroit, bad for my wallet!
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, October 3, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- ☂️ More Rain Chances
Rain Thursday morning will diminish to scattered showers in the afternoon, with highs in the upper 60s (20 degrees Celsius).
Becoming much cooler Thursday night, with lows in the upper 40s (9 degrees Celsius), but possibly only in the low 40s (6 degrees Celsius) in rural areas far from the Urban Heat Island.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have any construction updates and traffic trouble spots for the week.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
5:55 a.m. -- ☕ Back to Basics: Coffee
Coffee shops can get expensive, so we're helping you save some cash without sacrificing quality. Our Kim DeGiulio is meeting with the coffee experts to make some latte art.
6:15 a.m. -- 💻 "Techtober "
It's being called "Techtober" -- a time when some big name tech companies roll out new devices, upgrades and more. We'll show you some of the biggies that are being released in our Consumer Headlines segment.
6:40 a.m. -- 💅 Help Me Hank: Instagram Product Test
The ads are all over social media -- products that claim to make you look younger, but do they REALLY work? Our consumer team tests out some of the most popular before you buy them.
- Tasty Tuesday: Tania's Pizza
- Help Me Hank update: Efforts made to clean up Evergreen Cemetery in Detroit
- Michigan roadside drug testing program: Attorney raises privacy concerns
- Michigan's flavored vaping ban in effect today for retailers: What to know
🗞️ Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: On this day in 1950, comic strip "Peanuts" premiered in several newspapers. Who created the classic comic strip?
- Answer: Charles Schulz
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
🗓️ National Days: October 3rd
- National Techies Day
- National Boyfriend Day
📜 History Highlights: October 3rd
- In 1789, President George Washington declared Nov. 26, 1789, a day of Thanksgiving to express gratitude for the creation of the United States of America.
- In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November Thanksgiving Day.
- In 1932, Iraq became independent of British administration.
- In 1955, "Captain Kangaroo" and "The Mickey Mouse Club" premiered on TV, respectively.
- In 1962, astronaut Wally Schirra became the fifth American to fly in space as he blasted off from Cape Canaveral aboard the Sigma 7 on a 9-hour flight.
- In 1991, Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton entered the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.
- On Oct. 3, 1995, the jury in the O.J. Simpson murder trial in Los Angeles found the former football star not guilty of the 1994 slayings of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Goldman (however, Simpson was later found liable for damages in a civil trial).
- In 2001, the Senate approved an agreement normalizing trade between the United States and Vietnam.
- In 2003, a tiger attacked magician Roy Horn of duo "Siegfried & Roy" during a performance in Las Vegas, leaving the superstar illusionist in critical condition on his 59th birthday.
- In 2008, O.J. Simpson was found guilty of robbing two sports-memorabilia dealers at gunpoint in a Las Vegas hotel room. (Simpson was later sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison; he was granted parole in July 2017 and released from prison in October of that year.)
🎊 Celebrity Birthdays: October 3rd
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Jason Carr
- Singer Chubby Checker is 78.
- Magician Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy is 75.
- Singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is 70.
- Drummer Tommy Lee of Motley Crue is 57.
- Singer Gwen Stefani is 50.
- Singer Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys is 48.
- Singer G. Love is 47.
- Actress Neve Campbell is 46.
- Actress Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") is 46.
- Rapper Talib Kweli is 44.
- Singer Ashlee Simpson is 35.
- Rapper A$AP Rocky is 31.
- Actor Noah Schnapp ("Stranger Things") is 15.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.