ICE to begin nationwide immigration raids Sunday
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans to begin raids Sunday in an effort to arrest and deport "thousands" of undocumented immigrants, The New York Times reported Thursday, citing conversations with one former and two current homeland security officials.
Around the country:
- Philadelphia: US authorities in Philadelphia seized a cargo vessel in June with nearly 20 tons of cocaine on board. The ship, as it turns out, is owned by a fund run by banking giant JPMorgan Chase. Read more.
- Florida: A former sheriff's deputy in the Florida Panhandle was arrested Wednesday on charges that he routinely pulled over drivers for minor traffic infractions, planted drugs and then arrested them on made-up drug charges. Read more.
- Utah: The man suspected of killing University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck has been formally charged with aggravated murder, District Attorney Sim Gill announced Wednesday. Read more.
- Los Angeles: A Southern California couple is suing a fertility clinic, claiming their embryo was mistakenly implanted in a New York woman, who gave birth to their son as well as a second boy belonging to another couple. Read more.
- Alabama : The longtime owner and editor of a small Alabama newspaper that called for a revival of the Ku Klux Klan has sold the publication and retired, months after igniting a firestorm with the editorial, the new owner said. Read more.
AT&T now automatically blocking spam calls
AT&T customers could soon be free of having to deal with annoying spam calls — or at least that's AT&T's plan.
Tropical Storm Barry develops in Gulf
The treacherous weather system headed toward Louisiana intensified Thursday to become Tropical Storm Barry, the National Hurricane Center said.
Migrant mom recalls 19-month-old's death
Yazmin Juarez, a mother whose toddler died weeks after they were released from Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody in 2018, recalled the death of her child in emotional testimony before a House panel Wednesday.
- Trump expected to announce executive action on census
- Alex Acosta addresses role in Epstein sex scandal
- Teachers union sues Betsy DeVos over loan forgiveness program
- Trump officials warn of 'active threats' to US elections
- Dems seek to navigate Mueller landmines
- Tupac's letter to Madonna goes to auction
- Chernobyl to become official tourist attraction, Ukraine says
- Former Yankee Jim Bouton has died
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.