Feds: Robbery suspect, 81, wanted to return to prison
An 81-year-old man who has spent most of his adult life behind bars for stealing from banks said he robbed a credit union in Tucson months after his release from prison because his monthly $800 Social Security payment wasn't enough to live on, according to court records.
Around the country:
- Tennessee: What started as a protest over the death of a Memphis man devolved into chaos Wednesday night after demonstrators threw bricks at police and vandalized squad cars, officials said. Read more.
- Dallas: A Dallas man was arrested in the slayings of three people, including the high-profile death of transgender woman Muhlaysia Booker, Dallas Police said Wednesday. Read more.
- Alaska: At least 60 dead ice seals have been found along the coast of the Bering and Chukchi seas in Alaska, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Read more.
- Indiana: One suspect has been arrested in connection with the animal cruelty investigation at Fair Oaks Farms, after an undercover animal welfare investigator released video of employees abusing calves. Read more.
- Washington DC: The street on which NASA headquarters sits has been renamed Hidden Figures Way, honoring the black, female mathematicians who helped get NASA astronauts into space. Read more.
Central Park Five case prosecutor resigns
A prosecutor in the Central Park Five trial has left her post at Columbia Law School in the latest fallout from the portrayal of the case in a Netflix miniseries.
Weatherman who defied 'Code Red' alerts is out of a job
One week ago Joe Crain, the morning meteorologist at WICS in Springfield, Illinois, called out station management for mandating over-the-top "Code Red" weather alerts. Now Crain is officially out of a job.
Trump says he would accept dirt on political rivals
President Donald Trump says he would listen if a foreign government approached him with damaging information about a political rival -- and wouldn't necessarily report the contact to the FBI.
More POLITICS headlines:
- NYT: DOJ to request interviews with CIA officers in Barr inquiry
- Senators demand more information on border facility overcrowding
- France will send new 'friendship tree' to Trump after last one died
- Postal Service issues George H.W. Bush 'Forever' stamp
- Trump Jr. says 'nothing to change' in previous testimony
- UK signs Julian Assange's US extradition papers
St. Louis Blues win first Stanley Cup title
The St. Louis Blues won their first Stanley Cup in their 52-year history after defeating the Boston Bruins 4-1 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- Suspects in David Ortiz's shooting got paid $7,800, police say
- Netflix says 'Stranger Things' mobile video game coming in 2020
- Cuba Gooding Jr. expected to talk to NYPD in alleged groping incident
- Spotify introduces personalized 'Your Daily Drive' playlist featuring news, music
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.