Harriet Tubman $20 bill redesign postponed
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin punted again Wednesday when pressed about an Obama-era plan to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.
Around the country:
- Missouri: A tornado in Missouri caught sleeping residents off guard late Wednesday night, as a series of storms continued to bring chaos across the state, Oklahoma and Kansas. Read more.
- Colorado: Thomas Silverstein, a triple murderer who spent decades in solitary confinement in federal prison, died at a Colorado hospital this month, officials said Wednesday. Read more.
- Maine: Maine health officials confirmed the first case of measles in the state, bringing the total number of states reporting the highly contagious viral disease to 25. Read more.
- Arizona: An agent with the US Border Patrol in Arizona is accused of sexually assaulting multiple women, the Tucson Police Department said Wednesday. Read more.
- Florida: The co-owner of a Florida daycare was arrested after a 4-month-old baby who was found unconscious in a hot van Wednesday died, police said. Read more.
NOAA releases hurricane forecast
The coming Atlantic hurricane season is predicted to be near normal, with nine to 15 named storms, including four to eight hurricanes, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, announced Thursday.
3 more guilty pleas in college admissions scandal
Three more parents pleaded guilty in federal court on Wednesday, the latest to fall in what authorities called the largest collegiate admissions scam ever prosecuted.
'American Taliban' released from prison
John Walker Lindh, the so-called "American Taliban" whose capture in Afghanistan riveted a country in the early days after the September 11 attacks, has been released from prison, authorities said.
Trump administration announces farmer bailout plan
The federal government will spend an additional $16 billion to help farmers hurt by the US-China trade war, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue announced Thursday.
More POLITICS headlines:
- New York passes bill allowing Congress to request Trump's tax returns
- Betsy DeVos releases more data on student loan debt
- Investigation can't determine if Virginia gov depicted in racist yearbook photo
- 2 film productions quit Georgia after abortion law is signed
- Mario Batali faces criminal charge in alleged Boston groping incident
- Daniel Craig injured while filming 'Bond 25'
- Banksy crashes Venice Biennale with street stall
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.