Police have new lead in fatal shooting of young mother on I-75

Jennifer Scavone killed Feb. 9 in her SUV after leaving work in Detroit

Headline Goes Here


Michigan State Police said Tuesday they have a new lead they are following to try to find out who killed a young mother of two while she drove on I-75.

Jennifer Scavone, 32, worked as a waitress at Bouzouki Lounge in Detroit's Greektown. The Sterling Heights woman never made it home to her fiance and two children after leaving work on Feb. 9.

She was found dead about 3:40 a.m. inside her sports utility vehicle on the shoulder of northbound Interstate 75 near Mack Avenue. There were bullet holes on the driver's side of her SUV.

Police said they are now looking for a gray or silver 2006 Dodge Stratus that was caught on a surveillance camera following Scavone from the lounge onto the interstate.

The car is missing both front wheel covers and may have damage to the trunk lid and right front quarter panel.

Friend says mom lived in fear

Heather Raye, the manager at Bouzouki's, told Local 4 she spoke to Scavone as they were leaving work just minutes before her death.

"We said our goodbyes. She told me to be careful, and then she got into her truck and pulled away," said Raye. "A lot of the girls and staff in general are extremely upset. It shakes you, knowing that she left work. Of course our first concern was to make sure it wasn't work-related in any way -- a disgruntled customer or somebody out on the street -- and it wasn't."

Raye says Scavone always lived in fear for her life. She was involved in a bitter custody dispute with the father of her oldest child. Macomb County court records show the dispute has been going on since 2003. Police say they are looking into that.

"We knew that she had problems with some people outside of her work environment, but she was really good at keeping her personal life personal and her professional life professional. She always came in with a smile and upbeat, and happy and ready to brighten your day," said Raye.

Local 4 tried to contact the father in the custody battle but he could not be reached. The last time they were in court was in January. They were due back in court in March.

Detroit police have not made any arrests as the investigation continues.

Anyone with information is being asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK-UP.

Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.