Police: Shooter Part Of Ongoing Sex Assault Investigation

Shooter's Home Burned To Ground On Tuesday

DETROIT - The home of a gunman who was fatally shot after wounding four officers at a Detroit police station was burned to the ground Tuesday amid an investigation into claims he held a 13-year-old girl as a sex slave inside it, Local 4 has learned.

Lamar Moore's west side home on Sorrento Street ignited at about 3 a.m. Tuesday, Detroit fire officials confirmed. They had not determined if arson was to blame.

Detroit Sgt. Eren Stephens confirmed that Moore was under investigation in the sexual assault case but did not release details.




Local 4 has learned that the teen told police she had been chained to a toilet inside the house for several days before getting away early Sunday.

Sources said police were sent to the house that afternoon to investigate. Just hours later, at about 4:30 p.m., Moore walked into the 6th Precinct and opened fire.

Sources said video recording equipment was taken from Moore's house during the search and investigators are trying to determine if there were other victims.

Detroit police Chief Ralph Godbee said Monday he couldn't speculate about Moore's motive in the shooting.

Two of the four injured officers have been released from the hospital. Precinct Commander Brian Davis and Sgt. David Anderson were in stable condition Monday. An update on their condition was expected Tuesday afternoon.

The last time relatives saw Moore was when he left his sister's house in Detroit around 2:45 p.m. Sunday, said Paula Hodges, who has been acting as a spokeswoman for Moore's family.

Footage from surveillance video shows Moore entering the precinct about 4:20 p.m., then beginning to shoot.

One blast caught a sergeant in the chest of her bulletproof vest. At least one shot grazed two other officers in their heads.

Davis, who was shot in the lower back, was the most seriously injured.

Hodges said Moore had been concerned for months over his younger brother's criminal case, though he didn't blame the police for what happened. She identified Moore's brother as Venson Hibbit.

Hibbit pleaded guilty earlier this month to two counts of second-degree murder and one count of assault with intent to commit murder, stemming from a shooting last March at a Detroit auto repair shop. Hibbit was sentenced Monday in Wayne County Circuit Court to 30 to 60 years in prison.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.