(CNN) - Former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said Tuesday that he had apologized to former White House chief of staff John Kelly last week and they "buried the hatchet."
"I had lunch with Gen. Kelly on Thursday," Scaramucci told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "Cuomo Prime Time," where he said they had "buried the hatchet."
"I called him, I apologized -- look, I had, you know, a miscue and it was a fireable offense, and, you know, we, we had a good spirited conversation," Scaramucci said.
Scaramucci was ousted as White House communications director in July 2017 after serving 11 days in the role. His departure came days after he had unleashed a vulgar tirade against two top White House officials in a conversation with Ryan Lizza, who was at the time a reporter for The New Yorker and is a CNN contributor.
The New Yorker reported that Scaramucci went on an expletive-filled rant in which he insulted then-White House chief of staff Reince Priebus and former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Kelly delivered the news to Scaramucci in a face-to-face meeting in his office, two people familiar with the matter told CNN at the time, making Scaramucci's ouster one of his first official acts as chief of staff.
"Anthony Scaramucci will be leaving his role as White House Communications Director," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders announced at the time. "Mr. Scaramucci felt it was best to give chief of staff John Kelly a clean slate and the ability to build his own team. We wish him all the best."
Scaramucci had previously told Cuomo he believed the hiring of Kelly as chief of staff was a "mistake" and a "misfire." Trump announced in December that Kelly would be leaving his post at the end of the year and the President later named Mick Mulvaney as acting White House chief of staff.
The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.