SOUTHFIELD, Mich. - Student-athletes from across Michigan will be honored on National Signing Day Wednesday.
At Southfield High School, 18 student-athletes considering athletic scholarships and signing letters of intent with colleges and universities across the country will be honored as part of the school's annual National Signing Day Ceremony.
The ceremony will be held in the school's Field House and begins at 9:30 a.m.
Scholarship offers for the honorees total more than $8 million. The school said this is the largest group of signees in the school's history.
This year's honorees include one girls basketball player, three wrestlers and 14 football players at Southfield High School, including:
- Cortney Williams-Loyola
- Da'Vion Williams, Davion Bourne, Keith Lee-Indiana Tech
- Lawrence Marshall-Michigan
- Chukwuma Okorafor-Western Michigan
- Jordan Billingslea-Western Michigan
- Jacob Studdard-Youngstown State
- Chris Williams-Northwood
- Carterris Carter-Wayne State
- Raquan Carter-Ferris State
- Devontae Alfred-Northern Michigan
- Walter Love-St. Joseph's
- Malik McDowell-Undecided
- Jordan Cry-Undecided
- Travis DeBose-Undecided
- Londale Sanders-Undecided
During the ceremony, the school said highly-recruited defensive end Malik McDowell will share his college decision. He is considering offers from several Division I universities, including the University of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, LSU, Florida State and Alabama.
"We are proud of our student-athletes and our coaching staff for making this day a reality for our students and their parents. It exemplifies the hard work and dedication of our athletes, to sports and to our community," said Michael Horn, principal of Southfield High School. "I am more proud of these 18 scholarships than I would be of a state championship."
In Dearborn Heights, HYPE & State Champs TV will be hosting a High School Football National Signing Day.
The event will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at HYPE Courts or Atrium in the HYPE Recreation Center at 23302 West Warren Ave.
High school football players from across the state of Michigan have participated in HYPE Football Series Events, including showcases, camps, performance training and the travel 7 vs. 7 Team.
The following players are expected to attend the 2014 National Signing Day Special:
- Travis Smith (QB) -- Toledo -- Ithaca
- Dylan Roney (DE) -- NAVY -- Detroit Catholic Central
- Jalen Watts - Jackson (DB) -- Michigan State -- Orchard Lake St. Mary's
- Avonte Maddox (WR/DB) -- Pittsburgh -- Martin Luther King
- Jalen Embry (DB) -- Iowa -- Martin Luther King
- Garrett Schaller (QB) -- Siena Heights -- Detroit Loyola
- Malik McDowell (DL) -- Uncommitted -- Southfield
- Omari McCauley (DB) -- Uncommitted -- Martin Luther King
- Kyle Rachwal (LB) -- Uncommitted -- Lapeer East
- Ka'John Armstrong (OL) -- Uncommitted -- Detroit Loyola
- Keland Reeder (DB) -- Uncommitted -- River Rouge
- Devon Spaulding (RB) -- Uncommitted -- Westland John Glenn
- Kyle Frizzell (WR) -- Uncommitted -- Springport
- Carteris Carter (LB) -- Uncommitted -- Southfield
- Raymone Burton (LB) -- Uncommitted -- Southfield Lathrup
To learn more about the HYPE Athletics Community, click here.
More in Sports
- Manchester United, Real Madrid set to play in Ann Arbor
- Fetisov: I think limo driver crashed on purpose
- Terry McDermott: 1964 Olympic champ
- Local woman heads to Sochi to compete
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.