Suspect arraigned in Detroit police officer's 2010 slaying

Man accused of killing Detroit police Officer Brian Huff, wounding 4 other officers

Headline Goes Here

DETROIT - A 25-year-old man charged in the shooting death of a Detroit police officer and the wounding of four others was arraigned Monday.

Jason Gibson made his first appearance in Wayne County Court, a week after a judge found probable cause to send him to trial.

Gibson is accused in the May 2010 slaying of Officer Brian Huff in a vacant east side duplex. Huff and other officers were responding to a report of shots fired at the house.

Judge Cynthia Hathaway set the next hearing for June 23.

Dramatic Testimony Heard At Gibson's Last Hearing

The preliminary hearing began Friday when he walked into court just after 11 a.m. in his yellow jail jumpsuit.

Four of the officers who were there the night Huff was shot took the stand and relived the nightmare.

Officer Raymond Diaz was the first to take the stand. He is an evidence technician.

Then, Huff's partner, Officer Joseph D'Angelo, took the stand just 12 feet away from the man accused of shooting his partner. D'Angelo was emotional as he spoke and, several times, he had to stop to regain his composure. He seemed to have a tough time getting through his testimony of what happened.

D'Angelo said he saw Huff lying on the front lawn. "He had a bullet hole in his left cheek. My main concern was my partner," he testified.

D'Angelo said another officer pulled a police car up to the scene and the officers tried loading Huff in.

Paul Jameson, a neighbor, testified he heard a break-in in the vacant duplex next door and called 911. He said that he grabbed his gun and went outside, and that's when police arrived.

Jameson said he saw Huff slightly open the door to the home and yell "police." He said he saw him step into the home on Detroit's Eastside and heard three shots, "pop, pop, pop."

Jameson described Huff's appearance. "He had a lot of blood all over his face. I took his pulse and couldn't find his pulse. Immediately, I jumped on top of him and tried CPR."

Jameson said when EMS arrived, paramedics told him to take off Huff's belt. He testified that Huff's gun was still in the holster, which means he did not draw his weapon on the shooter.

Officers Kaspar Harrison and Officer John Dunlap, both also with Huff that day, also testified as to what happened.

"I heard Huff say there was someone in the house. I heard him say 'Detroit police'. He pushed the door open and I heard the exchange of gunfire," Harrison testified.

Dunlap told the court he saw Huff step his foot into the doorway of the home and then heard three gunshots.

"Huff fell and Gibson came out of the house, running and shooting," Dunlap said. He said he was standing 10 feet away from Gibson, who then shot at him.

Officer Brian Glover testified Gibson shot at him as he was running away and that he shot back, striking Gibson and forcing him to fall over a fence.

Evans said Huff and D'Angelo were not dispatched to the original call, but they went on the run anyway to help the less experienced officers who were supposed to respond to the call.

Gibson faces three murder charges in Huff's death: first-degree premeditated murder, murder of a peace officer and felony murder.

Each carries a sentence of life without parole upon conviction.

Gibson also was charged with one count of assaulting a police officer causing death in connection with Huff's shooting.

He was charged with four counts of assault with intent to murder in the wounding of officers Harrison, Dunlap and Steven Schram, and for shooting at officer Brian Glover. He also was charged with four counts of assaulting a police officer causing serious impairment and one count of assault causing injury.

Glover hurt his knee while assisting Huff. Harrison suffered a gunshot wound to an arm; Schram to a foot; Dunlap to a shin; and D'Angelo to his right thigh. Each was treated for his injuries and released from local hospitals.

Gibson also was charged with home invasion, marijuana possession, using a firearm during a felony and as a habitual offender.

Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans said the tragedy could have been avoided if Gibson, who was released on bond despite having a series of convictions that included confrontations with police, would not have been released.

In-Depth Look: at shooting suspect

Download:Judge Hathaway's Clarification

Evans last week unveiled a plaque honoring Huff. More than 200 city officers have died in the line of duty since 1865.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.