Man charged in Twelve Oaks jewelry store smash-and-grab robbery

By John Steckroth - Editor

NOVI, Mich. - One of the three men suspected to be involved in the smash-and-grab robbery Saturday evening at Tapper’s jewelry store in Twelve Oaks Mall was arraigned Wednesday morning.

Jamal Ritter, 26, of Detroit, was arraigned Tuesday morning on larceny, first-degree retail fraud and malicious destruction charges in 52nd District Court, 1st Division. He turned himself in to Detroit police Monday night.

Two other men are still at large.

His bond was set at $300,000, no ten percent. He is due back in court Aug. 31.

According to prosecutors at the arraignment, Ritter has never been employed and has two outstanding bench warrants for other courts. One warrant is from a disorderly conduct case and the other is an alleged assault and battery.

Jewelry store robbery prompts mall lockdown

Three men were seen walking into the Tapper’s jewelry store in Twelve Oaks mall at about 5:20 p.m. A display case was smashed with a small hammer. Two watches were stolen.

The robbers fled on foot.

Officers received reports of shots being fired inside the mall, but later determined that no shots were fired. Police believe that people had panicked after hearing the display case shatter.

Social media reports pushed the shooting narrative further, causing more chaos, though no shots were fired, according to police.

The mall was briefly on lockdown before the mall was evacuated and shoppers were moved to the parking lot.

No injuries were reported.

The mall reopened Sunday.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Novi Police Department at 248-378-7100.

Suspect turns himself in; allegedly assaults officer

The suspect allegedly damaged a police cruiser and assaulted an officer during the custody transfer between Detroit police and Novi police, according to police.

After surrendering to authorities Monday night in Detroit, the suspect allegedly bit an officer and kicked out the two rear-windows of a police cruiser, police said.

“He managed to escape the officers and took on a brief foot pursuit where he was eventually apprehended again after a brief struggle which resulted in one officer being bit and both officers being scratched,” Novi Police Sgt. Scott Baetens said.

Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.