DETROIT - A worker shot and killed an alleged would-be robber Monday at the "Hip Hop Shop" on Detroit's west side, police said.
The Hip Hop Shop is a place made famous by Detroit rapper Eminem. Police said the shooting appeared to be a case of a worker fighting back against a robber.
- Hearing held on possible suspension for Oakland County judge
- 2 teens charged in Pioneer High School student's death
- How to help your kid transition into high school
- Big Ten football power rankings: Week 6
- New money aids uphill battle in Detroit's blight fight
- Innocent 13-year-old boy shot in Detroit
Detroit police have had 7 Mile Road shut down at Greenfield Road for most of the evening while they investigate the incident. They said a 26-year-old man went into the Hip Hop Shop and the worker came out and started firing his weapon.
"If there's an attempted robbery, a citizen has the right to defend himself," Officer Mark Thornton said.
The worker has been taken downtown for questioning. Police said he called 911 after firing the shots and waited for them at the scene.
Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.