VIEW HERE: Detroit Thanksgiving parade street closures, parking, transportation
Turkey Trot, parade, football game to draw thousands Downtown
DETROIT – Sections of Woodward Avenue in Detroit will be closed to motorists as the city prepares for crowds attending the Thanksgiving parade, Turkey Trot running events and Detroit Lions football game.
- Turkey Trot races start at 7:30 a.m. Thursday.
- America's Thanksgiving Day Parade kicks off at 8:50 a.m. at Woodward and Kirby.
- The Lions take on the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field at 12:30 p.m.
- Woodward from West Grand Boulevard to Warren will be shut down from 1 p.m. Wednesday to 2 p.m. Thursday and from Warren to Jefferson at 1 a.m. Thursday until the parade ends.
- Limited access will be available starting at noon Wednesday for some streets crossing Woodward. Some Downtown streets will be closed at 5 a.m. Thursday and reopened following the Turkey Trot.
The following streets will have limited access beginning at noon on Wednesday, Nov. 22:
- Amsterdam/Piquette from Cass to John R
- Harper from Cass to John R
- Palmer from Cass to John R
- Ferry from Cass to John R
- Farnsworth/Putnam from Cass to John R
The following streets will be closed beginning at 5 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 23:
- Michigan at Cass
- Fort Street from Trumbull to Woodward
- Congress from Shelby to Randolph
- Larned from Shelby to Randolph
- Shelby from Congress to Michigan
- Michigan from Cass to Woodward
- Monroe from Woodward to Randolph
- Lafayette Blvd. from Trumbull to Griswold
- Washington Blvd. from Adams to Congress
- Atwater from Civic Center Dr. to Third
These streets including Michigan Avenue and Washington Blvd. will reopen after the Turkey Trot at approximately 10 a.m.
In addition, the southbound Lodge exits at W. Jefferson/Cobo and Larned Street (Exits 1A & 1B) and the northbound Lodge exit at W. Jefferson (Exit 1A) will be closed during the entire Turkey Trot.
The Larned exit will reopen after the Turkey Trot ends.
DETROIT PEOPLE MOVER
Individuals coming Downtown for the Thanksgiving Day races, parade and Detroit Lions game can ride the Detroit People Mover (DPM) free from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., courtesy of the Sprint LTE Network.
All 13 stations will be open, with the closest to the parade being Grand Circus Park, Broadway and Cadillac. View the DPM system map at www.thepeoplemover.com.
People Mover service will resume at 9 a.m. on Friday, November 24.
DDOT BUS REROUTES
As a result of street closures for the Thanksgiving Day events, DDOT customers can expect delays beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 23. Eastside bus routes will lay over at the Detroit People Mover’s
Bricktown Station on Beaubien north of Larned. Bus passengers are encouraged to ride the DPM at no charge on Thanksgiving Day to continue their travels. Eastside bus routes will resume regular service to
the Rosa Parks Transit Center after 6 p.m.
The following bus routes will be affected because of the Thanksgiving Day Parade:
- #7 Cadillac-Harper
- #10 Chene
- #25 Jefferson
- #31 Mack
- #34 Gratiot
- #48 Van Dyke
The following routes will be affected because of the Turkey Trot, which takes place from 7 a.m.-8:30 a.m. These routes will come in and out of town by Michigan via Trumbull:
- #19 Fort
- #27 Joy
- #29 Linwood
Bus passengers that need to get to the eastside routes from the Rosa Parks Transit Center may ride the People Mover to the Bricktown Station. DDOT will operate on a Sunday schedule on Thanksgiving Day for all regular routes at regular fares. For more information, please call DDOT's Customer Service Office at 313-933-1300 or go to www.RideDetroitTransit.com.
The Detroit Municipal Parking Department (MPD) recommends the following facilities on Thursday, Nov. 23.
FACILITY HOURS RATE
- Ford Underground Garage 5 a.m. - 6 p.m. $10 -- 30 East Jefferson Avenue
- Millennium Garage 24 hours $10 -- 423 W. Congress
In addition, the following facilities are recommended for the Detroit Lions game.
- Grand Circus Park Garage 24 hours $20 -- 1600-01 Woodward Avenue
- Premier Underground Garage 5 a.m. – 2 p.m. $10 -- 1206-08 Woodward Avenue (Public Parking)
Parents can find lost children at the Detroit Police Department Downtown Services, 20 Atwater, or by calling 313-237-2850.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.