Every animal deserves a loving home that is just right for them and their owner. When looking for a new pet, it’s crucial to ask yourself two important questions: “what am I looking for in a pet today?” and “what will a typical day be like for my pet?”
When answering these questions, being honest with yourself and understanding what kind of lifestyle you live will result in a much better experience for you and your furry companion. Fortunately, animals come in all shapes, sizes, energy levels and personality traits, which means the perfect match for you is out there!
Here are some important factors to consider when searching for a new pet:
- Do you want a pet that will alert you whenever someone gets close to the door or is even just passing the house?
- Do you have enough energy to take multiple walks a day, or are you more of a couch potato?
- Are you ready to spend money on pet food and extra time picking up large “doggy piles” in your yard?
- Will you have the time and money to take your pet to beauty appointments? Do you keep your house spotless all of the time? Will drool and hair make you crazy?
- Is your work schedule going to prevent you from house training?
- Is your pet going to be around children, other dogs, or cats?
- Do you have the time to spend training your dog so that he/she will feel fulfilled, happy and stay out of trouble?
- Do you travel frequently? If yes, do you mind paying to have your pet at a daycare facility while you’re away?
- Is your circle of human family/friends quite small and are visitors are rare, or are there always people in and out of your home?
- Would you be happy to share your life with an animal that may need some extra medical or behavioral care throughout his or her life?
These are just a few questions you should ask yourself before adopting a pet. Answering them truthfully will help an adoption counselor find the best possible dog for your personality and lifestyle. To find your perfect match, visit michiganhumane.org/adoption or stop in to a Michigan Humane Society adoption location today!