Pets & Pills - The hidden danger in your home

Topping the toxins list for the fifth year in a row are prescription human medications.

The hidden danger in your home that is most likely to make you pet sick is your human medication, including dropped pills.

Dr. John Rozenbaum, a veterinarian at Advance Veterinary Medical Center in Farmington Hills, tells Local 4 that human medications have topped the list of top 10 toxins for several years now.


 The most common danger is over-the-counter and prescription pain killers.

A single asprin won't  kill a pet, but a spilled bottle, or one chewed open by a dog, could. A single extra-strength naproxen is enough to kill a small dog. Ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure in dogs and cats.

Pet owners won't always know what their animals have gotten into — they just know they are showing symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, depression, seizures or refusing food.

A dog who has swallowed pills to treat ADHD will get agitated.


Dogs love chocolate, but chocolate contains a life-threatening chemical methylxanthine. And, the darker the chocolate the greater the danger. 

It would take about an ounce of milk chocolate per pound of dog to be deadly, but only an eighth of an ounce of really dark chocolate per pound.

Dr. Rozenbaum warns that cats should stay away from Easter lilies. A bite on a leaf, or pollen on the paws could lead to a trip to the vet.

Alcohol is another often overlooked danger. Alcohol — especially cream-based drinks like Russian eggnog — can make an animal very drunk very quickly. The animal will wobble, vomit, maybe inhale vomit into its lungs and become comatose