Certain indoor and outdoor plants, if eaten by pets, can be harmful and sometimes deadly to them.
According to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, cyclamen, amaryllis, chrysanthemums, pothos, English ivy, philodendron, corn plant, mother-in-law’s tongue, hibiscus, hydrangea, peace lily and schefflera can cause intestinal upset if consumed by pets.
Castor bean can cause intestinal problems, seizures, comas or death.
Azaleas, rhododendrons and the bulbs of tulip and narcissus plants can also cause intestinal problems, as well as weakness, depression, heart problems, comas or death.
Sago palms, especially the nut, can cause severe intestinal problems, seizures or liver damage.
Fungi, such as certain mushroom varieties, can cause liver damage.
Lilies in the Lilium and Hemerocallis species can cause kidney failure in cats, even if only small amounts are eaten, according to the AMVMF.
Rhubarb leaves and shamrock can also cause kidney failure in pets, while lily of the valley, oleander, yew, foxglove and kalanchoe may cause heart problems.
Yesterday-today-and-tomorrow plants, autumn crocus and glory lilies can also be harmful to pets.
If a pet consumes a potentially harmful plant, contact a veterinarian or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals poison control center at 888-426-4435.
Be ready to provide the pet’s breed, age, weight and any symptoms when calling, the AMVMF said. Also, keep a plant sample to assist in identification.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.