Detroit Lions: Week 4 fuzzy numbers
Detroit takes on the New York Jets this Sunday
DETROIT – Ahh, it's only week 4 in the NFL, and we already have a ton of misleading stats to look at! Well, not all of them are misleading, but some sure are surprising, especially some concerning your Detroit Lions. Let's take a look at some of the fuzzy numbers heading into the Lions vs. Jets matchup this weekend.
- Heading into week 4, the Lions and Jets are the top two ranked defenses in the NFL, with the Lions being No. 1.
- Matthew Stafford's completion percentage is up 4% from last year, but that still ranks in the bottom ten QB's.
- Detroit leads the NFL in 3rd down conversions.
- The Lions rank 25th in rushing, the Jets are currently 2nd.
- The Lions are tied for 6th in sacks with eight sacks, the Jets are 1st in the NFL with ten.
- Former Lion DE Willie Young is tied for the league lead in sacks. He plays for the Bears.
- Detroit has kicked the second LEAST punts in 2014, with only nine. Likely a result of their high 3rd down efficiency.
- The Lions tight end trio is doing a lot more blocking than catching. Eric Ebron and Joe Fauria both have 3 catches this year, Brandon Pettigrew has one catch for nine yards.
- TE Eric Ebron played just 23 of a possible 75 snaps (31%) on offense vs. GB. Big Joe Fauria played 25 and Brandon Pettigrew 49.
- Lions CB Darius Slay is the 8th ranked CB overall and the fifth best in coverage. Mathis is 19th in coverage.
So there you have it! Take these numbers with a grain of salt -- only four weeks into the NFL season, it's probably not yet safe to claim the Lions have the best defense in the NFL. Go Lions!
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.