"This initiative is another step in our enhanced guest security and safety measures," said Mike Healy, Vice President of Ballpark Operations. "Safety is paramount and we want to strike a balance between safety and customer convenience. Most importantly, we are being proactive to ensure we create as safe, comfortable and enjoyable environment as we can. Statistically, walk through metal detectors allow for guests to enter more quickly and effectively into the ballpark than hand wands."
MLB guidelines mandate screening programs be implemented at all ballparks by 2015. In order to accommodate for possible longer wait times at gates, the Comerica Park will open two hours before game time. All streets around Comerica Park will be restricted from any vehicle traffic.
Here's what you need to know for 2014:
- Guests are encouraged to arrive early to avoid a longer wait to enter the ballpark.
- As in past years, all guests will be subject to bag searches and all bags will be checked.
- Only bags that comply with MLB standards of 16x16x8 will be admitted.
- Guests will need to empty their pockets of keys, mobile phones, and other items before
walking through the metal detector. Guests can opt of the walk thru metal detector screening
but they will be subject to hand held metal detector screening or alternative screening
- It is suggested guests minimize the amount of items they bring to the ballpark.
- There will be no access to the ballpark from the Beer Hall or the Labatt Blue Light Jungle
PERMITTED/NON PERMITTED ITEMS
Guests will be asked to return all restricted items back to their vehicle. Guests who are caught in the
park with a restricted item(s) will have the object confiscated and may be subject to ejection.
Permitted Items after inspection:
- ALL BAGS/PURSES ARE SUBJECT TO INSPECTION
- baseball mitts/gloves
- bags smaller than 16" x 16" x 8" (including soft sided coolers, backpacks and diaper
bags, bags cannot have a rigid interior or exterior frame)
- cameras still and video ( tri-, uni-, or mono- pods are prohibited)
- drink boxes, if you have children in your party or for medical needs
- factory sealed clear bottles of unflavored water
- Individual portion sized food or snacks (outside food is not allowed into the suites)
- plastic baby bottles if you have a child in your party
- seat cushions
- small radios
- strollers (umbrella-type that folds up and will fit underneath the seat, large strollers may
be checked at Guest Services)
- umbrellas (large golf umbrellas and umbrellas with metal tips are strongly discouraged)
Non Permitted Items:
- Aerosol cans (hairspray, mace, pepper spray, etc.)
- animals (except certified service animals or service animals in training)
- bags larger than 16" x 16" x 8"
- baseball bats of any size
- beach balls or other inflatable items
- beverages (except juice boxes with children in your party, or for medical needs)
- bottles (glass or plastic with the exception of factory sealed clear bottles of unflavored
- fireworks, firearms, knives or weapons of any kind
- fishing nets or poles
- framed back
- hard sided coolers
- illegal drugs or substances of any kind
- laser devices/pointers
- liquid containers (glass or plastic with the exception of factory sealed clear bottles of
- markers, paint
- masks (face cannot be covered up)
- noisemaking devices: air horns, bullhorns, thunder sticks, cowbells, bells, horns,
kazoos, whistles, and other noisemakers
- non-baseball related signs
- objects that can be used as missiles or projectiles: sticks, bats, clubs, Frisbees, beach
- obscene or indecent clothing
- skateboards or rollerblades
- squirt guns including super soakers
- sticks, including signs attached to sticks
- stools, folding chairs, stools or back supports
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.