The Detroit Red Wings are winless through their first three games.
But it could be worse. They lost one of the games in overtime and the other in a shootout.
Here are the game recaps:
- Detroit Red Wings lose to Columbus Blue Jackets in overtime
- Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha score as Red Wings lose 4-2 to Kings
- Detroit Red Wings still winless, lose to Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in shootout
Winning is not going to come easy right now for the Red Wings, who have a list of rookies and sophomores in the lineup. But this team is definitely worth watching. You'll want to pay attention to the growth of young players such as Tyler Bertuzzi, who scored this goal Monday night in Los Angeles:
That was Frans Nielsen and Michael Rasmussen with the assists.
The Red Wings opened the season Thursday night, then picked up and headed west for two games in California. It's likely you didn't see either of those super late West Coast games, so get set for them to be home again on Thursday when the Toronto Maple Leafs visit.
Then it's a Saturday night game in Boston.
Here's the extended Red Wings schedule:
- Thursday, Oct. 11, vs. Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m.)
- Saturday, Oct. 13, @ Boston Bruins (7 p.m.)
- Monday, Oct. 15, @ Montreal Canadiens (7:30 p.m.)
- Thursday, Oct. 18, @ Tampa Bay Lightning (7:30 p.m.)
- Saturday, Oct. 20, @ Florida Panthers (7:30 p.m.)
That's five straight games against Atlantic Division rivals. The Red Wings will want to avoid digging a hole early in the season by losing too many games to divisional foes. This is a tough test that has the young Wings going into some very hostile buildings right away.
Yes, black seats are being installed at Little Caesars Arena
Is this something that upsets you? Seems like it upsets some Red Wings fans who got used to decades of red seats at Joe Louis Arena.
The times they are a changing. Personally, I don't care if the seats are lime green as long as the team is good.
Around the league
- The Carolina Hurricanes are jumping into the glass to celebrate victories. This is turning heads, and some eyes are rolling.
- The San Jose Sharks lost 4-0 to the New York Islanders. That's not supposed to happen, right? And now Joe Thornton is on IR.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs had to score 7 goals to beat the Ottawa Senators in overtime. Leafs fans are a bit leery about the lack of defense, but Auston Matthews already has 8 points in three games. So, who can complain?
- Speaking of Matthews, he got into this celebration battle with Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane the other night.
- Roberto Luongo is going to miss a few weeks with a knee injury.
- The Ducks, by the way, are 3-0 and sitting atop the league with 6 points. It's super early.
Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.