DETROIT - With the heat index expected to top 110 degrees this week in Metro Detroit, public cooling centers are opening across the region.
Most of the cooling centers will offer water.
Here's the growing list we're putting together here on ClickOnDetroit:
- Ford Community and Performing Arts Center at 15801 Michigan Avenue will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Team Wellness Center at 6309 Mack Ave., Detroit, MI 48207 will be open from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. on both Friday, July 19 and Saturday, July 20
- Team Wellness Center's Eastern Market location at 2925 Russell St., Detroit, MI 48207 will be open from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. on Friday, July 19th.
- Visitors can cool off in an air-conditioned facility while enjoying popsicles and cold water. They can also play games, watch television, socialize, or just relax while they wait out the heat. Team Wellness Center has an overnight program which hosts more than 100 homeless individuals every night at the East location. People who have nowhere to go when the cooling centers close for the evening are welcome to stay overnight.
- Oak Street Health centers:
- Cherry Hill, Rosedale Park, Jefferson Village - visit www.oakstreethealth.com/centers for specific hours for each center
- Maplewood Community Center -- 31735 Maplewood from -- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday
- Oak Street Health center -- 13667 Eureka Rd, Southgate, MI 48195 -- Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Recreation Authority -- 18185 Sycamore
Thursday -- 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday -- 9 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Saturday -- 3 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Sunday -- 4 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- City Hall -- 29777 Gratiot
Thursday -- 8 a.m - 4:30 p.m.
Friday -- 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Public Library - the library will have bottled water and will present the movie "Wall-E" at 2 p.m. Friday.
- Fitzgerald Recreation Center -- Nine Mile Road east of Ryan Road -- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, July 19, and Saturday, July 20. Free bottled water will be available.
- Owen Jax Recreation Center -- Nine Mile Road east of Van Dyke -- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, July 19, and Saturday, July 20. Free bottled water will be available.
- Warren Community Center -- Arden Avenue south of 14 Mile Road and west of Mound Road -- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, July 19, and Saturday, July 20. Free bottled water will be available.
- Kulick Community Center -- 1201 Livernois St, Ferndale, MI 48220 -- Thursday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Costick Center -- 28600 Eleven Mile Road in Farmington Hills -- will be open as a cooling center starting Thursday, July 17 through Wednesday, July 24 from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Oak Street Health center -- 1142 E 9 Mile Rd, Hazel Park, MI 48030 -- Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- City Hall -- Lobby Area -- 27400 Southfield Road, Lathrup Village, MI 48076
Thursday, July 18, 2019 -- 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday, July 19, 2019 -- 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Southfield Pavilion -- 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield, MI -- Thursday, July 18, through Saturday, July 20 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- A phone charging station will also be provided for guests.
- Guests must check in and out.
- Guests are responsible for their own valuables.
- The center will be open on a first-come, first-served basis.
- No photographs may be taken in the center.
- Prescription and over-the-counter drugs in original containers only.
- Service animals permitted; however, they must remain with owner at all times.
- Children must always be supervised.
- Appropriate dress, including shirts and shoes, is required at all times.
- Tables and chairs will be available. The Center is not set up to accommodate overnight shelter or serve meals. Electrical outlets/charging station and public restrooms are available.
- Vending machines are available onsite. Coffee, water and granola bars will be provided.
- Management reserves the right to remove individuals from the Center for non-compliance of conduct rules.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.