2 1/2 cups cooked barley
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb. beef sirloin steak (top loin), sliced
¼ cup red wine, sake or water
4-5 cups broccoli florets and stems (1 large bunch)
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
1 tbsp. grated ginger root (or 1 tsp. McCormick ginger)
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Meijer low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup Meijer beef stock
1/2 tsp. wasabi (or 1/4 tsp. McCormick red pepper flakes)
1-2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. honey
McCormick black pepper to taste
1 tbsp. Meijer cornstarch
1. Cook barley according to package directions.
2. Prepare sauce by mixing soy sauce, beef stock, wasabi (or red pepper flakes), lime juice, honey and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, stirring well until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
3. Add canola oil to a hot skillet. Add beef, season lightly with salt and pepper, and sear both sides on high heat for 1-2 minutes or until the outside is browned and the inside is still pink. Add red wine, sake or water, stirring well.
4. Add broccoli, orange pepper, carrots, ginger, cilantro and sauce. Reduce heat to medium high and stir-fry until broccoli is crisp-tender (3-5 minutes).
5. Add cooked barley. Cook for another minute, stirring well.
Recipe adapted from: Eyefoods.com
Ginger Butternut Squash
2 tbsp. margarine
2 tbsp. Meijer 100% Pure Maple Syrup
1 tsp. McCormick ground ginger
1/8 tsp. McCormick ground cinnamon
1 (3 lb.) medium butternut squash, halved and seeded (NuVal® score 100)
Combine margarine, maple syrup, ginger and cinnamon in small bowl. Arrange squash cut side down on baking dish. Cook in microwave for 5 minutes on high. Turn over; brush with spread mixture; cover with wax paper. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 240 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 4g protein
Recipes adapted from: Meijer Healthy Living (www.meijermealbox.com)