A student at Stevenson High School in Livonia has been diagnosed with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus -- a type of staph infection.
In a statement, Principal Jim Gibbons said the student won't return to school until they have been cleared by a doctor.
Gibbons said the school is following district and county sanitizing protocols.
MRSA is called a "superbug" because it is one of the bacterial infections that has developed a resistance to commonly-used medications.
Full statement from Stevenson High School's principal:
We want to make you aware that we were notified at dismissal time that a student at Stevenson High School has been diagnosed with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), an infection caused by a strainof staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections. This student was not in school today.
We are following District and Wayne County protocol for this case, and sanitization is under way. The student will not be returning to school until cleared by a physician.
It’s important to know the symptoms of MRSA. The infection starts as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils, or spider bites. These can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical attention. Be aware of minor skin problems such as pimples, insect bites, cuts, and scrapes — especially in children. If wounds become infected, see your doctor. Do not attempt to treat a MRSA infection yourself. You could worsen it or spread it to others.
As with all infectious diseases, we ask that parents notify the school immediately upon diagnosis.
Preventative measures include: frequent hand washing; keeping wounds covered; do not share personal items, such as towels, razors, clothing, athletic equipment, etc.; shower after athletic games or practices; sanitize linens if you have a cut or sore.
More about MRSA: