American Red Cross steps in to help Flamingo Motel residents following fire
Fire officials say all staff and guests were able to make it out safely
FRASER, Mich. – The Flamingo Motel in Fraser suffered significant damage after a fire broke out early Thursday morning.
Firefighters were dispatched to the fire in the 32000 block of Groesbeck Highway around 2am. The fire started in the bathroom ceiling of one of the rooms. When firefighters arrived, a significant part of the building was in flames.
The fire took several hours to completely extinguish. According to fire officials, all people inside the motel were able to get out safely without injuries.
The night manager of the Flamingo went door to door making sure everyone was out before leaving the burning building himself.
The incident closed Groesbeck Highway in both directions from Masonic Boulevard to 14 Mile Road for most of Thursday morning.
The American Red Cross provided 3 families assistance in the way of food, clothing, shelter and emotional support due to fire damage to the building. The Red Cross is on standby to provide assistance to additional occupants of the hotel if needed.
The Red Cross recommends two easy steps to help protect your home and loved ones from a fire:
- Get a smoke alarm and create a fire escape plan.
- Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a home fire in half according to the National Fire Protection Association
- Place smoke alarms on every level of your home, including bedrooms
- Test smoke alarms once a month and replace batteries at least once a year
- Having a plan in place can help you escape, including at lease two ways to escape from every room of your home and a meeting spot at a safe distance from your home.
- Discuss the plan with everyone in the household and practice it at least twice a year
For more Red Cross fire safety and preparedness information visit, www.redcross.org/homefires
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.