Man gets 30 to 60 years in prison for police chase that killed 2 children
Lorenzo Harris accused of injuring 5 people when car crashed last summer
DETROIT – A man who was found guilty involuntary manslaughter and other charges in a high-speed chase with police that left two children dead in Detroit was sentenced Wednesday to 30 to 60 years in prison.
A jury last month convicted Lorenzo Harris on charges including involuntary manslaughter and first-degree fleeing and eluding.
Police said the chase on June June 24, 2015, began after an officer saw somebody in the car with a gun. They said the Camaro driven by Harris hit an average speed of 95 mph while he fled officers.
The Camaro went up on a sidewalk on Nottingham Street and hit the concrete porch of home.
Michael A. Jackson, 6, and Makiah Jackson, 3, were hit by the Camaro and killed. Three other children and a woman were injured when the car hit a porch.
"I pray for this family as much as I pray for myself, because we were both put in a situation that we weren't prepared for," Harris told the Judge Margaret Van Houten at his sentencing.
Houten said no sentence she could impose could bring the children back.
"Lives of so many people have been affected by your actions," Van Houten said.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.