37ºF

16-year-old electrocuted by downed power line in Taylor

Heavy storms moved through area Friday

TAYLOR, Mich. – A teenage boy was electrocuted Friday night in Taylor after encountering a downed power line, police say.

Authorities with the Taylor Police Department have identified the boy as 16-year-old Austin Kane Wohlfeil.

Police said the teen and his 20-year-old brother encountered a downed wire in their backyard around 8 p.m., Friday, on the 6000 block of Michael Street.

The older brother contacted their parents, who were away at the time.

Police say the victim was squirting the line of smoke from the live wire with a large squirt gun when both brothers received a jolt and were knocked down.

The older brother was able to get up, but his younger brother did not.

The father of the boys arrived at the home and attempted to administer aid to his son.

The boy was transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dearborn where he later died.

DTE released the following statement:

"This is a tragic incident, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the young man." 

The Taylor Police Department said the victim was a sophomore at Truman High School.

"This is a tragic accident to say the least." said Mary Sclabassi, chief of the Taylor Police Department.

The downed electrical line was a result of storms moving through the area. 

READ: Staying safe near fallen power lines.

Stay with Local 4 and ClickonDetroit.com for updates to this developing story.