Small Michigan town shaken by startling double murder

25-year-old charged in double homicide

Michigan State Police Alpena Post/WPBN TV

A small Michigan town is reeling after a 25-year-old man allegedly killed two people and injured two others early Saturday morning.

Kyle Boldrey was arraigned Tuesday on two counts of murder, two counts of assault with intent, first degree home invasion, and two charges of resisting arrest.

The murders happened in Hillman, Mich. -- about 23 miles west of Alpena, Mich.

According to WPBN-TV, Boldrey had forced entry into a home and was assaulting the residents.

Troopers say Boldrey was partially clothed and was exhibiting erratic behavior and had obvious injuries. Due to the circumstances and behavior, we're told deputies were forced to deploy a Taser to take Boldrey into custody.

Troopers say once Boldrey was in custody, deputies and EMS personnel responded to the caller's house and found three residents suffering from varying degrees of injuries. All three of them, 69-year-old Keith Atkinson, 61-year-old Debra Wells, and 41-year-old Jeffrey Baur, were transported to an area hospital. Atkison died from his injuries while on the way to the hospital and was pronounced dead upon arrival. Wells was admitted for treatment for severe injuries received from the attack and Baur was treated and released. 

Through further investigation, we're told a state trooper secured what was believed to be the initial scene of the assault, but was quickly told by an area resident of another potential homicide across the road.

The trooper investigated and found the body of 23-year-old Trevor Hubbard lying outside of his house. Boldrey's vehicle was found in Hubbard's driveway rolled over.

Police believe Boldrey acted alone, and that drugs are a factor.

Michigan State Police say the preliminary autopsy reports on the cause of death for 69-year-old Keith Atkinson were from blunt force trauma to the head and torso. The autopsy report on 23-year-old Trevor Hubbard showed the cause of death was from multiple stab wounds.

Police: Suspect took synthetic drug with friend

According to a report from Michigan State Police,  Hubbard and Boldrey had taken or experimented with a synthetic drug, and at some point in the early morning hours on Saturday, there was a dispute that happened outside of Hubbard's house.

State police say during the altercation, Hubbard was stabbed multiple times. Boldrey then went to leave the scene and ran over Hubbard with his truck. While Boldrey was speeding down the driveway, he lost control of his vehicle and crashed, causing the vehicle to roll over.

State police tell WPBN Boldrey then walked across the street to the Wells' house, where police believe Boldrey attempted to take their vehicle. When Boldrey was unsuccessful, he went to the house and pounded on the door. Debra Wells, 61, and Jeffrey Baur, 41, heard the pounding and saw Boldrey outside.

After telling him to leave, Boldrey forced entry into the house and started to assault Wells and Baur. This commotion woke up 69-year-old Keith Atkinson who came out and was then assaulted by Boldrey.

After the assaults, Boldrey left the house and was found walking down the road by the Montmorency County Sheriff's Office deputies, who were arriving on scene.

Boldrey was charged on Tuesday, and is being held without bond.

About the Author:

Ken Haddad is the digital content and audience manager for WDIV / He also authors the Morning Report Newsletter and various other newsletters. He's been with WDIV since 2013. He enjoys suffering through Lions games on Sundays in the fall.