Map details where Michigan hate groups are in 2017
28 hate groups said to be stationed inside Michigan
DETROIT – With hate groups resurfacing in the United States, we take a look at where hate groups exist inside Michigan.
The Southern Poverty Law Center released a map showing where every hate group in America is stationed in every state.
According to the center, there are 28 hate groups inside Michigan, and 917 total in the country.
The groups vary from anti-muslim to neo-nazi, white nationalist and KKK groups.
Here's the 28 groups on the Michigan map:
- Yahweh's Truth - Christian Identity (Linwood, Michigan)
- ACT for America - Anti-Muslim (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- Gallows Tree Wotansvolk Alliance - Neo Nazi (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- National of Islam - Black Separatist (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- KKK (Battle Creek, Michigan)
- White Boy Society - White Nationalist (Statewide)
- American Freedom Law Center - Anti-Muslim (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Deir Yassin Remembered - Holocaust Denial (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- American Nazi Party - Neo-Nazi (Westland, Michigan)
- Foundation for the Marketplace of Ideas - White Nationalist (Clinton Township, Michigan)
- Nation of Islam - Black Separatist (Detroit, Michigan)
- White Rabbit Radio - White Nationalist (Dearborn Heights, Michigan)
- Secure Michigan - Anti-Muslim (New Baltimore, Michigan)
- All Eyes on Egipt Bookstore - Black Separatist (Detroit, Michigan)
- National Socialist Movement - Neo-Nazi (Detroit, Michigan)
- Northern Hammerskins - Racist Skinhead (Detroit, Michigan)
- Black Riders Liberation Party - Black Separatist (Detroit, Michigan)
- NSM88 Records - Hate Music (Detroit, Michigan)
- Israelite School of Universal Practical Knowledge - Black Separatist (Detroit, Michigan)
- Israel United in Christ - Black Separatist (Detroit, Michigan)
- ACT for America - Anti-Muslim (Detroit, Michigan)
- NS Publications - Neo-Nazi (Wyandotte, Michigan)
- KKK (Trenton, Michigan)
- TC Family - Anti-LGBT (Traverse City, Michigan)
- Nation of Islam - Black Separatist (Benton Harbor, Michigan)
- KKK (Alpena, Michigan)
- Social Contract Press - White Nationalist (Petoskey, Michigan)
This list was compiled using hate group publications and websites, citizen and law enforcement reports, field sources and news reports. Groups that appear in the center of states represent statewide groups.
President Donald Trump, facing mounting pressure from Republicans and Democrats alike, did what he declined to do over the weekend during an event at the White House on Monday when he directly condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis in a brief statement to reporters.
"Racism is evil -- and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans," Trump said in response to the attacks in Charlottesville, Virginia, over the weekend.
"Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America," Trump said.
The comments came in a hastily scheduled White House event in the Diplomatic Reception Room, where Trump -- speaking with the help of a teleprompter -- spoke straight to camera after meeting with FBI Director Christopher Wray and Attorney General Jeff Sessions to discuss the Department of Justice's civil rights investigation into the attack.
"To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend's racist violence, you will be held fully accountable," he said. "Justice will be delivered. "
Trump had been excoriated for his unwillingness to condemn the groups behind the violent protests that left one woman dead who was hit by a car allegedly driven by a man with ties to white supremacy groups.
After blaming the violence "on many sides" Saturday, Trump stayed silent for close to 48 hours, letting his trademark bluntness and campaign pledges to call terrorism what it is succumb to silence and vagueness.
Trump was asked by reporters after he spoke why he waited so long to condemn these hate groups by name and did not respond.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.