ANN ARBOR – A new pavilion is now on public display at University of Michigan’s Matthaei Botanical Gardens.
The structure was designed by faculty, research assistants and students at U-M’s Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning and was built “through robot and human collaboration.”
A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the robotically fabricated pavilion took place on Sunday, where Dean Jonathan Massey and project lead assistant professor Arash Adel made brief remarks.
Constructed by a @taubmancollege team led by assistant professor Arash Adel, this Robotically Fabricated Structure contributes to outlooks for sustainable and low-carbon construction.— umichARTS & Culture (@umichARTS) October 22, 2021
Be among the first to visit RFS @MatthaeiNichols this Sunday at 2 PM! https://t.co/fsIJVfphOG pic.twitter.com/jWQhQoIri9
The state-of-the-art structure was built using regionally sourced, standard off-the-shelf lumber. The low-carbon, sustainable construction was executed Taubman’s ADR Laboratory’s robotic fabrication facilities.
“This outdoor structure offers new public gathering points while maintaining an open-air condition marked by pandemic times,” reads a news release.
Matthaei Botanical Gardens is located at 1800 N Dixboro Rd.
For more information about Taubman College, click here.