Firefighters called to deadly carbon monoxide incident at Ann Arbor hotel Monday afternoon

MIOSHA, Ann Arbor Police Department investigating

Ann Arbor Fire Department officials responded to a carbon monoxide incident at A Victory Inn and Suites hotel at 12:38 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 28, 2022 (Ann Arbor Fire Department)

ANN ARBOR – A Victory Inn and Suites hotel on Ann Arbor’s southeast side has been called unsafe after firefighters found the body of a maintenance worker on Monday.

Fire department personnel responded to a call at 12:38 p.m. on Nov. 28 and found the worker in a boiler room with carbon monoxide (CO) levels exceeding 500 parts per million, authorities said.

“Normal” carbon monoxide levels for outdoor air are between 0-9 parts per million, officials say. Indoors, that number may be between 0-30, depending on how properly gas appliances are adjusted. Learn more from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency here.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless poisonous gas. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can lead to poisoning, headache, dizziness, confusion, fatigue, vomiting, shortness of breath, unconsciousness and death.

Officials did not immediately release the identity of the deceased hotel worker or name an official cause of death.

Ann Arbor Fire Department noted on social media that firefighters ventilated the hotel after DTE Energy shut off the gas to the boiler. It was deemed unsafe to occupy the hotel, and hotel guests were relocated by hotel management.

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) and Ann Arbor Police Department are actively investigating the incident.


About the Author:

Sarah has worked for WDIV since June 2018. She covers community events, good eats and small businesses in Ann Arbor and has a Master's degree in Applied Linguistics from Grand Valley State University.