Rental scams are starting to become a serious problem in Metro Detroit as high-tech criminals take advantage of fears about the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Hundreds of online advertisements are promoting rental properties across the area, but officials with the Better Business Bureau said beware of potential scams.
- Mandatory quarantine issued for people living in 30 large houses linked to COVID-19 in East Lansing
- Extended closure heightens risk of legionella in Metro Detroit school buildings
- What Michigan’s top health official said about making athletes wear masks during sports
- Michigan Gov. Whitmer: ‘The biggest threat to the American people is the American president’
- Aerial mosquito treatment planned for 10 Michigan counties considered high risk for EEE
Criminals are posting fake ads and sometimes saying they can’t show anyone the properties because of the threat from COVID-19.
Another red flag is if they demand cash up front or ask for payments through gift cards.
You can watch Hank Winchester’s full report and hear from an expert with the BBB in the video posted above.