Father, infant daughter found killed in Oxford home; grandmother injured

Infant's death ruled homicide; father found with throat cut

People in the neighborhood can't believe this would happen to a man they knew as a devoted new father.
People in the neighborhood can't believe this would happen to a man they knew as a devoted new father.

OXFORD, Mich. – A 7-month-old girl and her 29-year-old father were found dead Sunday at their home by the baby's grandfather and deputies.

According to Sheriff Michael Bouchard, with the Oakland County Sheriff's Department, the baby was supposed to be returned to her mother Saturday but wasn't, so she called the man's father, who alerted deputies.

Deputies and the infant's grandfather knocked on the door at 10 a.m. Sunday and a woman's voice said, "Come in."

Daryne Gailey and his 7-month-old daughter, Charley Hendrick, were then found dead inside their Oxford home.

Gailey's 65-year-old mother was found alive, bleeding profusely in the living room with lacerations to her arms and wrist.

Gailey was discovered in the bathroom with severe trauma and blood loss. His daughter was lifeless in her crib. The medical examiner performed autopsies Monday morning, ruling the infant's cause of death a homicide. She appeared to have suffered head trauma when deputies found her.

Gailey's cause of death still is pending. He suffered cuts to his throat.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Office said a box cutter found at the home is believed to be the murder weapon and the weapon used to cut the 65-year-old woman, who is listed in stable condition.

Neighbors said they didn't hear anything unusual Saturday or Sunday morning and are shocked that a well-liked neighbor and innocent baby were victims of violence.

Deputies first came to the home Saturday night for a welfare check but no one answered the door. On Sunday, the house was a crime scene.

Neighbors said Gailey was a kind and helpful person and a devoted new dad.

Now deputies want to talk to the only person found alive -- Gailey's mother. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was heavily sedated, but now in stable condition.

Deputies said there was no sign of forced entry at the home.

About the Author: