Manhole catches fire on Woodward Avenue near Fox Theater

DTE Energy: Underground equipment caused fire, heavy smoke

Photo does not have a caption

DETROIT – DTE Energy said underground equipment failure is what caused a manhole to catch fire and produce heavy smoke on Woodward Avenue near the Fox Theater.

It happened around 7:30 p.m. Saturday between Montcalm and West Columbia streets in downtown Detroit.

DTE said they were taking steps to make repairs. A couple of businesses lost power briefly until their generators kicked in.

Detroit police said there were no reports of injuries as a result of the underground fire.

Police blocked off Woodward Avenue between Adams Avenue and Interstate 75.


About the Author:

Priya joined WDIV-Local 4 in 2013 as a reporter and fill-in anchor. Education: B.A. in Communications/Post Grad in Advanced Journalism