If you see a downed power line:
- Call DTE Energy immediately at 800-477-4747
- Assume the wire is hot. Just because there aren't sparks, doesn't mean the line isn't carrying electricity.
- Don't touch a fallen power line or anything touching the wire. Always stay 25 feet away from a downed power line.
- Do not touch anything or anyone in contact with a fallen power line.
- Stay away from water near downed power lines, even small puddles.
- If a fallen power line comes in contact with your vehicle, STAY INSIDE until help arrives. If you must leave, jump clear of the vehicle.
- Be careful not to stand under damaged tree limbs or power lines
- Be especially cautious near metal fences around the area.
Search for a specific story: