Sexual assault case against 4th Michigan State football player goes to prosecutor
Player involved in Meridian Township investigation
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Meridian Township police confirmed Friday they are seeking charges against a Michigan State University football player who is under investigation for sexual assault in an incident separate from a case which resulted in three players being suspended from the team.
The Ingham County Prosecutor's Office confirmed earlier this month a Spartans football player is being investigated by the Meridian Township Police Department for alleged sexual assault.
Nothing was submitted to the Prosecutor's Office at the time, but now police said they have handed the criminal sexual assault case over to the prosecutor.
Three MSU players under investigation
Three other MSU players are under investigation for the alleged rape of a coed on campus. The players have been suspended from the team, and a staffer is on paid leave for an investigation into how the case has been handled.
The Ingham County Prosecutor's Office said the criminal investigation is complete. All extra evidentiary materials prosecutors asked for have been turned in, and they're in the process of making a charging decision.
Officials said the alleged rape happened on campus in January. The student who said she was sexually assaulted reported what happened, and the university has two investigations ongoing.
One investigation involves what happened, and the other involves the football team's compliance with university policy.
Local 4 is not naming the three players facing rape accusations because they haven't been charged. Two of the players are from Detroit, and the other is from out of state.
All three players have been removed from university housing and suspended from the team, but they are still allowed to attend classes and their scholarships are still in place.
Curtis Blackwell, the team's director of college advancement and performance, has been placed on paid leave.
Sources told Local 4 a charging decision will be made shortly by the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office.
Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.