31ºF

60 people evacuated at Novi Oaks Motel due to high CO levels caused by pool heater

Patrons reported feeling light headed in hotel, police say

NOVI, Mich. – The Novi Oaks Hotel was evacuated Wednesday after high carbon monoxide levels were reported.

Officials said 60 people -- including employees and patrons -- were evacuated after some patrons reported feeling light headed. They went outside and started feeling better, so police were called to the scene.

Officials said they are checking for concentrated CO levels in the elevator shaft and examining the pool heater. It was determined that the pool heater was responsible for the high CO levels.

Firefighters are at the scene doing tests, and have started allowing people to go back inside the hotel.

The Novi Oaks Hotel was previously named the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.