Skip to main content

Homeowners to sue Ford over chemicals leaked from Livonia plant

130 Livonia homeowners suing Ford Motor Co.

LIVONIA, Mich. – On Wednesday, 130 Livonia homeowners are suing Ford Motor Co. because they're worried that chemicals used at the plant decades ago are leaking underground and under their homes.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality is already involved, but the neighbors aren't very impressed with the department's actions so far.

Chemicals from the plant have migrated beyond the wall that separates it from the neighborhood.

Testing wells are sprinkled around the Livonia subdivision in a process that's been going on the last two years.

"There is a vast quantity of toxic chemicals at Ford that are heading our way, and it's going to keep going this way until it gets cleaned up," homeowner Bruce Tenniswood said.

Ford notified neighbors two years ago that it would be testing to see if any vinyl chloride had seeped from its Livonia plant into the surrounding area. It has, but it's more than 7 feet underground and poses no risk to the drinking water, which the homeowners agree with.

They're worried about the groundwater, though.

"They're still saying there are no health risks here and everything is OK," homeowner Donna Coppola said. "It's not OK."

Most people who had vegetable gardens have pulled them out. They also said the water table is very high, and they're worried about vapor from the chemicals pooling in their homes. They're not happy with the MDEQ's response.

"They've only handled it when they had to it seems like," homeowner John O'Connor said.

The MDEQ sued Ford, but settled for $45,000 and the promise that the chemicals would be cleaned up.

"I say if you look at the health records of all the longtime neighbors, you cannot deny there is a serious problem here," homeowner Monica O'Connor said.

You can watch Mara MacDonald's full story in the video posted above.


Loading...