In honor of the GAR Building today, here's a shot of the castle-like favorite in Downtown Detroit. 📷 colindetroit/Instagram 🤩
Happy Friday eve! We're going to start really feeling that cold front today, with temps only reaching the low to mid 70s. A few spotty showers are possible in our West and North zones, but nothing to worry much about. The weekend looks amazing!
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
🚧 A few minor inconveniences to pass along to you:
- SB/NB M-10 (Northwestern Hwy) from 14 Mile Rd to I-696 right lane closed for construction through next week.
- NB M-1 (Woodward Ave) from Hudson Ave to Lincoln Dr right two lanes closed for maintenance through next week.
- NB M-1 (Woodward Ave) at 14 Mile Rd right lane closed for construction through Friday.
- WB/EB I-94 from 11 Mile Rd to 8 Mile Rd right two lanes closed for maintenance -- just today.
🚧 Check the live Traffic Map here.
Detroit's old GAR building gets historic preservation award
The GAR building at 1942 Grand River Avenue Detroit has received the prestigious Governor's Award for Historic Preservation. The Grand Army of the Republic Building was built in 1899 as a Memorial and the gathering place of civil war veterans and their supporters.
Detroit Zoo to announce clean energy initiative
The Detroit Zoological Society (DZS) is helping to create a healthier environment for animals, people and the planet. As part of its "Green Journey" sustainability initiative, the DZS on Thursday will announce a new partnership with DTE Energy to significantly reduce its carbon footprint.
Zap Zone goes for 2 World Records
Zap Zone is going for two Guinness Book World world records this week. The Canton Zap Zone location will attempt to break the world record for longest marathon of laser tag by playing over 25 hours straight. The Zap Zone in Farmington will attempt a new record for the largest winner stays on tournament of laser tag.
Rebel Nell, the socially-driven jewelry design and manufacturing company that restores fallen street art into one-of-a-kind jewelry, and York Project, the social streetwear company that helps homeless, are opening a "bricks and mortar" retail space. The social enterprises will launch their collective store on Thursday.
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Aug. 23 -- Detroit Lions vs. Buffalo Bills at Ford Field 🏈
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 29 -- Romeo Peach Festival begins 🍑
- Aug. 30 -- Michigan State football opener vs. Tulsa 🏈
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 31 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
- Aug. 31 -- Michigan football opener vs. Middle Tenn. State 🏈
- Sept. 2 -- 🇺🇸 Labor Day
- Sept. 7 -- Dally in the Alley in Midtown 🍻
- Sept. 8 -- Detroit Lions open season in Arizona 🏈
- Sept. 13 -- Red Wings training camp in Traverse City 🏒
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
Talking animals, funny music and graphics -- yes, it's a commercial for the Detroit Zoo - and it's our throwback Thursday special today. Take a trip back in time here.
📷 Today's Featured Photo: In honor of the GAR Building today, here's a shot of the castle-like favorite in Downtown Detroit. 📷 colindetroit/Instagram 🤩
Submit your photo:
- Hit us up on Instagram -- @local4news
Send us a News Tip here.