ORION TOWNSHIP, Mich. – A 25-year-old Ann Arbor man was denied bond on Friday after he was charged for allegedly shooting a woman in front of her 11-year-old son and stealing her car at an Orion Township shopping plaza.
Background: Bond denied for man accused of shooting woman in carjacking at Oakland County shopping plaza
Local 4 spoke to the victim’s family on Friday. They say the woman is still recovering in the hospital, but is expected to be OK.
Local 4 also spoke to the Oakland County Sheriff on Friday about his reaction to what happened in court.
Mauriel Dashawn Hearn is charged with carjacking, assault with intent to murder, fleeing police, resisting police, carrying a concealed weapon and three counts of felony firearm.
During Friday’s appearance, authorities explained what they believed happened Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. at the Baldwin Commons Plaza.
Authorities say Hearn approached a mom and demanded her keys. She gave her purse and said, “take it,” detectives say.
“The suspect then shot her with a pistol in the right hip, in front of her 11-year-old son,” one of the detectives said in court.
Detectives say Hearn took her keys and drove off with the woman’s Buick.
He fled, and ONSTAR told detectives where the car was. The car crashed and they say Hearn fled into the woods.
“We located Mauriel DaShawn Hearn. Hearn was located running out of the woods, near the crash scene. He was sweaty and out of breath,” the detective said.
Hearn was arrested.
In court on Friday, his attorney said she plans to file a change of venue because she believes Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard’s comments about her client will impact a fair trial.
Bouchard had previously said Hearn had a violent past in Washtenaw County, saying he was on two years probation for hog-tying a woman, duct taping her and suffocating her.
Local 4 asked Bouchard what his reaction is to Hearn’s attorney’s request.
“They are looking always to obfuscate their responsibility and that’s with people that make a choice of being violent and attacking innocent people,” he said. “There seems to be a pattern in Washtenaw County. The judge involved in this and the prosecutor involved in this, we found were involved in other cases and that’s just a cursory look.”
Local 4 reached out to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor multiple times on Friday and did not hear back. Previously, the prosecutor’s office sent a statement.
“Our thoughts are with the victim of the horrific crime in Orion Township,” their office said. “We are grateful to law enforcement for their quick response and expect that the suspect will be held fully accountable. As to the 2024 case, it is incorrect to suggest that the suspect received any meaningful leniency from our office as a result of his plea. He pleaded guilty, as charged, to one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, and one count of assault and battery. No reduction in charges were given or offered by our office. His sentence of probation was consistent with Michigan’s sentencing guidelines -- which serve as a guide for courts to determine an appropriate sentence would be in a felony case. In other words, his sentence was likely what he would have received even had he never entered a plea, and been found guilty at trial.”