Nortel Lanes bowling alley in Monroe destroyed by fire

By Nick Monacelli - Reporter

MONROE, Mich. - Firefighters were working to extinguish a fire Wednesday morning at a bowling alley in Monroe.

The fire has completely destroyed the Nortel Lanes on Telegraph Road near Custer Road.

No one was inside the building and no injuries have been reported.

An investigation is underway to figure out what sparked the flames. However, firefighters believe it may have started in the kitchen. 

"This is one of the older buildings in Monroe," said Monroe Fire Chief Rob Wight "It's an icon. It's a tragic loss."

Nortel Lanes opened in Monroe in 1961. The alley had about 70 lanes. 

MORE: Nortel Lanes bowling alley burns in Monroe: 'Very difficult fire to investigate'

These photos of the fire are courtesy Monroe County Reporters Ryan Mink and Shane Neckel:

A fire burned the Nortel Lanes bowling alley in Monroe on Dec. 5, 2018. (Photo credit: Monroe County Reporters RyanMink/ShaneNeckel)

A fire burned the Nortel Lanes bowling alley in Monroe on Dec. 5, 2018. (Photo credit: Monroe County Reporters RyanMink/ShaneNeckel)

Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.