Passenger's bag catches fire at Detroit Metro Airport

Lithium batteries caused fire

Detroit Metro Airport (WDIV)

ROMULUS, Mich. - A passenger's bag caught fire Friday afternoon at Detroit Metro Airport.

According to airport officials, its fire department and explosives team responded to the fire at the North Terminal checkpoint just before 3 p.m. It was determined lithium batteries caused the fire.

Passengers were moved to a second checkpoint. Officials said that checkpoint will be used until the fire scene is cleaned up. 

The airport advised that travelers may experience longer wait times Friday afternoon.

Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.