ANN ARBOR – Michigan Medicine and Food Gatherers have announced their Back to School Food Drive will be extended through Sunday.
The effort was initially scheduled to end on Sept. 26, but in-person donations and online donations will continue to be accepted through Oct. 3.
Donations can be made in person at Dock 90 at University of Michigan’s North Campus Research Complex. Signs are posted around the entrance directing individuals where to go.
Below are the drive’s most-needed food and toiletry items. Foods made from whole grains and low or no sodium canned food are preferred.
- Hearty soups (beef stew, chili, etc.)
- Canned meats (tuna fish, chicken, etc.)
- Canned vegetables
- Packaged pasta & rice
- Whole grain cereal & oatmeal
- Baking & cooking supplies (flour, sugar, oil, etc.)
- Nut butters or jelly
- Kid-friendly snacks (granola bars, goldfish, etc.)
- Baby food & formula
- Ensure & other nutritional supplement drinks
- Baby items (diapers, wipes, etc.)
- Soap & shampoo
- Toothpaste & toothbrushes
- Disposable razors
So far, the campaign has raised $11,297 -- this, in addition to the food donated is the equivalent of 37,000 meals. Online donations can be made here.