DETROIT - Learn to fish for free Saturday at Milliken State Park in Detroit during the last "Hook, Line and Sinker" program of the summer.
The program will teach the basics of fishing, including knot-tying, setting up a pole, casting, choosing bait and removing fish from the hook. Reels and rods will be provided for those who don't have them.
The program, including use of rods, is free, but a fishing license is required for anglers older than 17.
Learn to fish from noon until 3 p.m. The park is at 1900 Atwater Street.
Contact Milliken State Park at 313-396-0217 with any questions.
The "Hook, Line and Sinker" program is offered at more than 30 state parks and fish hatcheries statewide.
Below is a full list of recreation areas that offer the program. Contact the park for more information about its program schedule.
- Bay City Recreation Area, Bay City, 989-667-0717
- Brighton Recreation Area, Brighton, 810-229-6566
- Cedar River State Harbor, Cedar River, 906-864-1040
- Hartwick Pines State Park, Grayling, 989-348-2537
- Hayes State Park, Onsted, 517-467-7401
- Holland State Park, Holland, 616--399-9390
- Holly Recreation Area, Holly, 248-634-8811
- Ionia Recreation Area, Ionia, 616-527-3750
- Island Lake Recreation Area, Brighton, 810-229-7067
- Ludington State Park, Ludington, 231-843-9261
- Mears State Park, Pentwater, 231-869-2051
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area, Metamora, 810-797-4439
- Milliken State Park, Detroit, 313-396-0217
- Mitchell State Park, Cadillac, 231-775-7911
- Muskegon State Park, Muskegon, 231-744-3480
- Pinckney Recreation Area, Pinckney, 734-426-4913
- Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, Waterford, 248-666-1020
- Port Crescent State Park, Port Austin, 989-738-8663
- Proud Lake Recreation Area, Commerce Twp., 248-685-2433
- Rifle River Recreation Area, Lupton, 989-473-2258
- Sleeper State Park, Caseville, 989-856-4411
- Sleepy Hollow State Park, Laingsburg, 517-651-6217
- South Higgins State Park, Roscommon, 989-821-6374
- Sterling State Park, Monroe, 734-289-2715
- Tawas Point State Park, East Tawas, 989-362-5041
- Waterloo Recreation Area, Chelsea,734-475-3170
- Wells State Park, Cedar River, 906-863-9747
- Wolf Lake Hatchery Visitor Center, Mattawan, 269-668-2876
- Yankee Springs Recreation Area, Middleville, 269-795-9081
- Young State Park, Boyne City, 231-582-7523
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.