News that some imported dog treats have led to the deaths of 1,000 dogs have prompted understandable concerns about pet food safety.
The Food and Drug Administration is maintaining a web page to keep consumers updated on the dog treat issue.
The FDA has also issued six pet food recalls so far in 2014:
- Bravo dog and cat food for listeria and monocytogenes (05/14/2014)
- Purina, Del's, Albers, Home Grown poultry feed for low vitamin and mineral content (04/16/2014)
- Abady cat food for salmonella (04/08/2014)
- HemoSet dual channel infusion set because "over-delivery may occur by gravity infusion" (03/18/2014)
- Hubbard Life, Joy, QC Plus dog and cat food for salmonella (02/05/2014)
- Red Flannel cat food for salmonella (01/25/2014)
More information on the recalls and other pet food safety information can be found at the FDA's animal and veterinary website.