The following is a response to our call for people to share thoughts and concerns about Michigan schools returning to in-person learning this fall.
“I don’t understand why they want kids in school but all school board meetings are online, and all of the state employees are working from home. So now they want kids in school where half of the school doesn’t have good ventilation or a window in the room. I guess they want money from the government and they don’t care about the health of our children!”
View more: School Confessionals
Michigan school districts, colleges and universities are working to prepare for a return to in-person classes this fall amid the coronavirus pandemic.
In-person classes were stopped in March when the virus swept through Michigan. On June 30, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer revealed her plan to help schools across the state return to in-person learning this fall. The “MI Safe Schools Return to School Roadmap” is a 63-page document that outlines coronavirus (COVID-19) safety protocols for each phase of Whitmer’s reopening plan.
The governor’s order requires each school district to adopt a COVID-19 plan that lays out how it will protect students and educators across the various phases of the Michigan Safe Start Plan. Whitmer’s roadmap is to be used as a guide.
- Aug. 6: Gov. Whitmer signs order requiring children, workers to wear masks at Michigan childcare centers, camps
This has everyone -- parents, teachers and students -- wondering whether this is a good idea, how well it can be accomplished, how safe everyone can be kept, and what exactly the best to do this will be.
Please share your thoughts and concerns about returning to in-person learning this fall -- we want to hear from you:
- Parents can choose -- Detroit Public Schools reveals official back-to-school plan
- Here’s what Michigan school districts have planned for the fall amid the pandemic
- A look at how Oakland University is preparing campus for fall return amid pandemic
- A look at how Eastern Michigan University is preparing campus for fall return amid pandemic
- Return to School section