DETROIT – Michigan reported 16,590 new cases of COVID-19 and 127 virus-related deaths Monday -- an average of 5,530 cases over the past three days.
Monday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 1,353,156, including 24,494 deaths. These numbers are up from 1,336,566 cases and 24,367 deaths, as of Friday.
The deaths announced Monday include 47 identified during a Vital Records review.
Testing has increased to around 50,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 20% as of Friday -- an increase from last week. Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing for several weeks and are at the highest point of the pandemic.
The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 7,167 on Friday. The 7-day death average was 93 on Friday. The state’s fatality rate is 1.8%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 222,100 on Friday.
Michigan has reported more than 10.5 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Friday, with 61.4% of the state’s population with at least one dose of a vaccine.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 48 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 775,600 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 7.5 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 452 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 259 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 5 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Nov. 8:
- Nov. 8 -- 8,911 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 10 -- 6,283 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 12 -- 15,878 new cases (processing delay inflated the two-day case count)
- Nov. 15 -- 21,034 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 17 -- 14,561 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 19 -- 17,980 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 22 -- 17,008 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 24 -- 17,003 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 29 -- 25,329 new cases (case count for five days)
- Dec. 1 -- 16,530 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 3 -- 18,443 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 6 -- 16,590 new cases (case count for three days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
Sign up for the Michigan Coronavirus Newsletter for updates delivered right to your inbox:
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.