DETROIT – A former church building at 2870 Woodward Avenue near Edmund Place caught fire Saturday morning.
The building was previously home to the old First Unitarian Church of Detroit, but has been vacant for the last 10-15 years.
The Department of Justice was concerned that the old building was a fire target, as it was on their list of places to watch.
Arson investigators are on the scene. The building was protected because it is on the national register of historic places. Investigators say the former church is now in danger of collapsing, and it will be days before the building is safe enough to enter and find out what started the blaze.
While fighting the fire, fire engine nine overheated and caught fire, destroying the engine compartment. There were no reported injuries from the fire in the building or the fire engine.
The senior chief said that they have been told that people may have been living in the vacant building. Neighbors in the area say that there has been an increase in homeless people going in and out of the building.
Stay tuned to clickonDetroit.com for updates.