DETROIT – A new date has been set for a trial that will determine if the father and stepmother of a Detroit boy found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance will lose custody of their children.
The trial for Charlie Bothuell IV and Monique Dillard-Bothuell had been set for November and then late January, but a judge on Wednesday moved the date to Jan. 12.
The attorney general's office, who is representing says it isn't happy with the timeline and may file a motion to move the case before another judge.
The state is seeking to terminate the couple's rights their two youngest children and the father's rights to 12-year-old Charlie Bothuell V.
Police found the 12-year-old in the basement of his father's condo on June 25.
Authorities said the boy was abused and forced to complete intense physical workouts, but there have been no criminal charges.
Click here to view a timeline of the Charlie Bothuell case.
Special section: Charlie Bothuell disappearance