DETROIT – With another Michigan winter looming, Local 4 is helping you prepare for the long months ahead. Below is a checklist from Quality Home Inspection's John McAuliffe of ways to get ready for the winter before the cold weather hits.
Protection of the Exteriors:
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Check location of downspouts discharges to get rid of any standing water around the foundation
- Inspect trees for weak branches: Heavy ice on weak tree limbs can cause those limbs to fall on power lines and roofs
- Disconnect hoses from hose faucets and draining
- Winterize sprinkler system
- Check air filter and change it if it's dirty
- Have furnace or boiler checked by a licensed and qualified heating and cooling company every two years
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace if necessary, since the house will be closed up for winter
- Confirm that sump pump operates properly
- Know location of main water shut-off valve
Quality Home Inspection, Inc. is based in Livonia.