University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon resigns

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – University of Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon has resigned.

Michigan President Mark Schlissel said he had accepted Brandon's resignation Friday morning.

"Dave feels that it would be in the best interest of our student athletes, the athletic department and the university community if he moved on to other challenges and allow the important work of the department and the university to continue without daily distractions," Schlissel said. "I agree with this decision. I've spoke regularly with Dave over the last few weeks and we both want what's best for Michigan athletics."

Uncut video: UM president's statement on Dave Brandon

According to Brandon's contract settlement, the university will pay him the following:

November 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015: $700,000

July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016: $950,000

July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017: $750,000

July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018: $600,000

However, if Brandon gets another job, the university has the right to reduce any remaining compensation.

Brandon also gets to keep two seats for football, hockey and men's basketball.

Jim Hackett will serve as the interim athletic director.

Jim Hackett

Brandon's resignation comes amid a dismal football season and concerns over the school's handling of everything from its concussions protocol to student seating at games. Football coach Brady Hoke's future has been in doubt for months thanks to his team's lack of progress, but Brandon also became a target of disgruntled fans and students.

Quarterback concussion controversy

Brandon and football coach Brady Hoke have been criticized particularly after quarterback Shane Morris was not immediately removed from a September game after a hard hit. Schlissel had said he was "deeply disappointed" in the department's response and handling of that situation.

Brandon was named athletic director in March 2010. A UM alumnus, Brandon played football under Bo Schembechler and was a member of three Big Ten Championship teams. He received a B.A. degree in communications from U-M in 1974.

Watch: Bernie Smilovitz goes 1-on-1 with Brandon

Brandon said he had numerous meetings to determine what happened after Morris took a crunching fourth-quarter hit to the chin from Minnesota's Theiren Cockran, who was penalized for roughing the passer. Morris staggered after getting up and briefly appeared to have trouble standing, but the sophomore remained in for the next play and threw an incompletion before coming out of the game.

Brandon said Morris had been treated for a sprained ankle earlier in the game, and medical staff on the sideline believed that was why he stumbled.

"The team neurologist, watching from further down the field, also did not see the hit. However, the neurologist, with expertise in detecting signs of concussion, saw Shane stumble and determined he needed to head down the sideline to evaluate Shane," Brandon said.

Devin Gardner replaced Morris, but later on that drive, Gardner's helmet came off at the end of a play. While Gardner sat out for a play as required, Morris went back in and handed the ball off to a running back.