Vigil held for Deontae Mitchell while police search for 3rd suspect

2 suspects in custody

DETROIT – Vigils were held Thursday evening for 13-year-old Deontae Mitchell who was found Thursday morning in a field on Detroit's east side.

Community members gathered at the scene where Mitchell's body was found. Later, a vigil was held at Nino's Market, where Mitchell was last seen.

Mitchell's mother is in disbelief.

"I'm glad to see so many people out to support me," Crystal Mitchell said.

Mitchell was abducted Tuesday night and an Amber Alert was issued. Mitchell's cousin told police they were outside Nino's Market on East Warren Avenue when Mitchell was forced into a car.

The body was discovered at about 8:30 a.m. in a field near Harper Avenue and Baldwin Street. Mitchell's mother identified him at the Wayne County Morgue.

READ: Family positively identifies body found in Detroit field as Deontae Mitchell

Mayor Mike Duggan released the following statement Thursday evening:

"I want to express my most heartfelt condolences to the family of young Deontae Mitchell. No child, no family should have to experience such an unspeakable tragedy. Our city has endured the loss of too many of our children as a result of senseless violence and it has to stop. The incomprehensible circumstances of Deontae's death make it even more painful for this community. Detroiters will do what we always do and wrap our arms around this grieving family." 

Concerns of safety

Mitchell and his cousin were riding their bikes alone Tuesday night when Mitchell was abducted.

Many in the community are concerned about the safety of their children.

Councilwoman Mary Sheffield said in order to protect children, the city may need to step up and enforece its curfew.

"I'm not blaming the family," Sheffield said. "I'm not blaming anybody, but I do think it's important that we do look at how we can prevent things like this and maybe one which is a possible curfew that the city isn't enforcing."

2 suspects in custody, police seek 3rd suspect

Police released images 45-year-old Gregory Walker and surveillance video from the store Wednesday.

READ: Suspect in abduction of missing Detroit teen arrested in Ohio

Walker was found Thursday morning in a motel room in Toledo, Ohio and was taken into custody.

Police announced they were looking for two more men Thursday morning: 30-year-old Ernest Coleman and 51-year-old Roy Portis.

Coleman was taken into custody Thursday afternoon.

Portis remains at large. He is described as a black man standing about 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighing about 180 pounds.

Anyone with information on Portis' whereabouts is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK-UP.