Man accused of killing family in Dearborn Heights arraigned on 4 counts of murder

Gregory Vincente Green, 49, calls police to report he murdered his family

DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Mich. – A man accused of killing his four children and injuring his wife in Dearborn Heights was charged Thursday morning and arraigned on multiple counts of murder.

Gregory Vincente Green, 49, of Dearborn Heights, is charged with four counts of first-degree murder, one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, one count of torture, one count of unlawful imprisonment, one count of felonious assault, one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm and felony firearms violations.

Officers were called Wednesday morning to a home in the 4400 block of Hipp Street near Annapolis Street after a man called police at about 1:15 a.m. to say that he had murdered his family. Gregory Green was waiting on the front porch to surrender when officers arrived and was arrested in the driveway of his home.

Sources said Green’s 4-year-old daughter, Kaliegh Green, and 5-year-old daughter, Koi Green, were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in a car and their bodies were later moved inside the home. Police found duct tape on the muffler of a car in the garage and a plastic tube attached to the car. Gregory Green’s 17-year-old stepdaughter, Kara Allen, and 19-year-old stepson, Chadney Allen, were shot execution style in the basement of the home, authorities said.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.

Faith Green, the children’s mother and the wife of the suspected killer, was shot and stabbed. Authorities said Faith Green was found in the basement of the home, bound with duct tape and zip ties. Gregory Green bound his wife, cut her face with a box cutter and shot her foot before shooting the two older children in front of her, authorities said. She is hospitalized in fair condition.

Autopsies on the two youngest children were completed Wednesday, and the Wayne County medical examiner ruled both deaths as homicides. Autopsies on the two older children were performed Thursday and the medical examiner also ruled their deaths homicides.

"There is nothing that better illustrates the silence of violence than this case. A confluence of events led to the deaths of four beautiful children," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said. "The alleged evidence in this case will show an appalling level of domestic violence that was cataclysmic. We must push the issue of domestic violence back to the forefront and be constantly educated about it."



Father arraigned

Gregory Green appeared in court Thursday morning for his arraignment on murder charges. He appeared with ankle cuffs and dressed in an orange jumpsuit.

The prosecutor asked for remand and Green agreed.

“I don’t need bond,” Green said in court. “I don’t think I deserve one.”

He was remanded to jail. A probable cause conference is scheduled for Oct. 5 and a preliminary hearing for Oct. 12.

Father previously convicted of murder

Gregory Green's criminal history shows that he served time for killing a former wife who was six months' pregnant.

According to records, Gregory Green was convicted of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of his then-pregnant wife in March 1992. In a similar fashion, he called police to tell them what he had done and waited for them to arrive.

He pleaded no contest and served 16 years in prison.

He was denied parole four times for various reasons, but it was centered around his lack of remorse for the crime. After taking some cognitive-based programs, he was granted parole in 2008 and discharged in April 2010.

He married Faith Green after his release.

Marriage falls apart

The suspected killer and Faith Green were married in 2010, but the marriage began falling apart and the mother of four filed a police report in 2013, saying:

"He is trying to make me leave our home. We're filing for divorce. He's being belligerent, kicking things. He kicked the couch while the baby was sleeping on it. He's just kicking things, threatening me and saying if I don't leave, things are going to get ugly. He jumped at me like he was going to attack. This went on for four hours."

On the same day, she requested a personal protection order, but it was denied because of insufficient allegations. Police said they had not been called to the home in the previous three months and she had also not filed a complaint in that time.

She filed for divorce in January 2014, but since no action was taken after the filing, the case was dismissed. She filed for divorce again last month, saying that there had been a breakdown in the marriage and there was no reasonable likelihood that the marriage could be preserved.

Community mourns young lives lost

Residents who live near the home where the four children were found are trying to cope with losing their fellow students and friends.

Some students at Southfield High School left school early Wednesday after learning about the deaths of C.J. and Kara Allen.

Neighbors are also missing the children, who they said lit up their block. One neighbor said Gregory Green was nice to her, but she suspected that he wasn't nice to his wife.

"He kept her confined," Michelle Carson said. "(She) couldn't socialize, like a prisoner."

As she spoke with Local 4, Carson held the Green family's dog, who was entrusted to her by police. She said she often saw Kaleigh and Koi playing with the dog.

"It's going to be really hard to walk out my door and see this every day and remember those little kids, like, 'Hi, Miss Michelle,'" Carson said. "I can still see them in my head right now."

Among the friends of C.J. and Kara, learning that the teens died at the hands of their stepfather was disturbing news.

MOREFriends, classmates mourn 17-year-old killed in Dearborn Heights

"I just hope she does get the justice she deserves," one friend said. "No one deserves this."

"It was her senior year," a friend said. "She's not going to experience college, being an adult, having a family, all because somebody was so sick."

Some students set up a makeshift memorial Wednesday at Inglenook Park. Others are planning a candlelight vigil Friday night at Annapolis High after the football game.

Kara was a football cheerleader and a National Honor Society member.

"Nothing we can do about it, just keep them in our prayers and do the best for the mother," a parent at the school said. "I really feel bad for the mom. You know, I'd rather die if my four children were dead."

Neighbors brought a prayer candle after they heard the ambulance overnight.

"We have a lot of old people around here too, so I thought it was something like that, but nothing to do with the babies," a neighbor said.

"It just shows you you never know what's going on behind closed doors," another neighbor said. "It's sad. It's a horrible thing that happened."

Local 4's full coverage